Use these instructions and a ‘Make Your Own Cross Stitch’ kit from Under the Rowan Trees to create a fantastic and unique gift. You can choose from a key-ring, necklace, brooch or Christmas tree decoration.
- Wooden shape
- Key-ring /necklace /brooch /ribbon
- Cross stitch thread
- Tapestry needle
- Felt backing
You Will Need
- Pattern from this page or your own design
- Once you have decided on your design, thread your needle with your chosen colour. You can either tie a knot in the end or if you want to keep the back of your cross stitch neat and flat, hold the end of the thread under your finger.
- Choose where you wish to start. Your design will be neater if you work across your pattern rather than jumping around.
- Insert your needle through one of the holes and pull the thread almost all of the way through. Put the needle back down through a hole diagonally opposite. Bring the needle back up through another hole and back down again diagonally to create an ‘X’.
- Keep doing this until you have completed your design.
- To finish, you can either tie a knot in the end of your work or glue down both of your ends carefully so that they don’t come undone.
- Carefully cut your piece of felt to the right shape and glue it onto the back of your cross stitch to hide your working.
- Thread your necklace or ribbon if required.
- Ta da!
Once you have finished we would love to see your finished work on Pinterest here or on Instagram using #undertherowantreeskits